July 12, 2015

WeeK 6: Memphis

"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been." -Samwise Gamgee
"I have no idea what you just said, but I think you just invited me to play the bass in front of all these people."  The next few minutes were panic filled. I didn't know any songs off the top of my head; even if I did it would be on keys and no one would know it. I racked my brain for solutions. I almost got up and left. I didn't know what to do. What if I had misunderstood him? But then the lead singer called me up. I hopped onto the stage. He asked my name and what blues songs I knew. I said I didn't know any. He asked if I knew how to play the 5 string bass. I said no. He motioned at the bass player and said, "give her your bass." he handed me a beautiful purple 5 string bass. He told me the chord and how long to play them, then we jumped in and did a song together. 




Another few items  crossed off my bucket list. Going to Tennessee and  being randomly called to preform with a band. However I did imagine singing. I also did not foresee playing blues with a secular all black men band. Best day ever.  


 This was just part of our day trip to Memphis. We also went to Bass Pro and Central  BBQ. 
Then we went to the National Civil Rights Museum. The museum was an extensive history of the black people from slavery in America to the present. It was very interesting. I did not know most of it. The museum was in the motel that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in. There was so much to read and learn. I want to go back again some time. 



After that we went to Beale Street where I got to play bass with a random band playing in an open air venue. That was great fun. Then we went to BB King's Blues Club. There was a live band playing. They were really good. After hanging out at the club for a few hours we drove home. I slept most of the way home. 


The other days of the week we got to observe a 5-Day Club being conducted by CYIA students who attended training a few weekends ago. They did a great job. We could tell that they had worked really hard on each part. We were very Impressed. 

Well, this week has potential to be a very stressful week. We have another Church CYIA training to teach this weekend on top of what I need to get done for TCE 1. I need to finish 5 lesson plans and a devotional by the 22nd of July. I am getting stressed. 

Prayer this week: 
To be focused on writing lessons
To get my lessons done
To be prepared for CYIA (I will teach about 5 hours this weekend)
To not be too homesick


Thank you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr. and Mrs.

Mr. and Mrs.